About this blog

This is a window into the weird world of Anglicanism, as experienced on a Cathedral Close. Has anything much happened since Trollope's Barchester Chronicles? You will still see the 'canon in residence' hurrying across to choral Evensong, robes flapping, as the late bell chimes. But look carefully and you will notice he is checking the football score on his iPhone as he runs. This is also a writer's blog. It charts the agony and ecstasy of the novelist's life. And it's a fighter's blog. It charts the agony and ecstasy of the judo mat. Well, the agony, anyway.

Tuesday 17 January 2012

DAY 17

Today there is but one consideration.  It's not style, it's not fashion.  Today is all about keeping warm.  They say, don't they, that you lose 25% of your body heat through your head.  Well, that depends on what you're wearing.  I imagine that if you are stark naked, you lose heat pretty evenly via your entire body surface area.  In fact, you probably lose less through your head, provided you aren't bald.  But in cold weather, a hat is a good plan.  Even indoors if your house is like mine.

That said, I'm not wearing a hat at the moment.  This is because I have finally warmed up by going out to the Post Office to post a friend's phone charger after she stayed here overnight.  It has been estimated that forgotten phone chargers now make up 63% of all UK parcels.

I just made that up, actually.

I'm now cooling down again at my desk.  This is despite wearing the following: black thermal vest, black long-sleeved merino wool base layer, jeans, boots, blanket, chunky cardigan, scarf.  All of these items have featured before in this blog, apart from the cardigan.  I believe this is the last of my chunky cardie collection to make an appearance.  It came, naturally, from some charity shop or other.  It's speckledy grey with three large black buttons.  After many months of puzzlement and twitching it about, I've concluded that it's supposed to be wonky.  In the sense that the placket (I type the word with authority, although it may be the wrong term) is meant to be slanted.  You know, the strip with the buttons and holes on.  We're calling it a placket.

Like other cardigan-coat things in my wardrobe, this one is a little troublesome.  Should it really flap open like this?  I have secured it rather fetchingly with a safety pin.  At school I used to staple up my skirt hem, or occasionally sellotape it.  Another thing they say when they aren't asserting you lose 25% of your body heat through your head, is that 'A Stitch in Time Saves Nine'.  Well, maybe it does.  But I'm all for waiting till the full nine are necessary.  That way you can feel like you've undertaken a real sewing project, rather than a bit of uptight knee-jerk control freakery.

I expect running repairs will feature increasingly as this year goes by.  Gosh, I remember the days when we used to repair tights.  It was usually black tights for Girls' Brigade.  In-wear repairs at the last minute.  It was either that or sealing the hole up and preventing further ladders with nail varnish, which as good Baptist girls we didn't have.






No comments:

Post a Comment